Skepta 0 Wiley 1


So after all the hype, I thought I'd go and grab Skepta's Greatest Hits. HMV: Sold out, Virgin: Sold out. Now I know this is a big mixtape but that was unexpected. Still, it bodes well for Skepta if the rest of HMV and Virgin are the same nationwide. Whilst I was in Virgin, Big Smoke magazine caught my eye with no other than Wiley plastered all over the cover. There's a good in depth interview with the Godfather himself on pages 36-39 which I have transcribed below (apologies if this is old news)....

"'I've made about £250,000, maybe more, out of the back of my car boot' he says with an air of nonchalance, shrugging and leaning back on the sofa. 'But its how much I'm worth. I'm not getting shitter at what I do. I'm getting better. All the money I've spent, I've cried about before, I can't cry anymore, it's how much I've shelled out. Now I've got to earn money back and not spend it so in 10 years I can say 'oh shit, I've been working for 10 years and still have money left from 2008'.

Wiley on his daughter

'When I first had her I thought 'Yes, get mature' but at first I got madder, out clubbing and drinking...but then you realise you don't want your child to grow up and hate you, your child to grow up and resent you, your child to grow up and be like 'Dad, where was you?' You don't want your child to do that and it makes you not as judging towards parents. Families are the only things that are constant, they bicker but they're blood and they'll always be a connection. I've got a big family, when you're growing up as a child, as long as you're being tended to and getting to play with your cousins you're happy but when you get into the real world is when you're not happy. Money makes me happy now."

Read the full interview in Big Smoke magazine, available now in Virgin Megastores nationwide.

0 comments: